GTIN-14 Use on Cartons
The GS1 created the GTIN Management Standards to define item identification and the GTIN-14 use on cartons. The 2 most common types of cartons are; Standard/Uniform Carton and Mixed Assortment Carton.
Standard/Uniform Carton – GTIN-14 for a carton containing the same items
A carton containing the same items is referred to as Standard or Uniform Carton which means all items in the carton have the same UPC-12(GTIN-12). Standard/Uniform Cartons generally have an Indicator digit of a value between 1 – 8. The Company Prefix and Item Reference (first 11 digits) of UPC-12 is the same as the items in the carton.
Mixed Assortment Carton – GTIN-14 for a carton containing different items
A carton containing items which are marked with a different UPC-12, is referred to as a Mixed Assortment. Mixed Assortments use a ‘0’ for the Indicator digit followed by valid GS1 Company Prefix and then new Item Reference Number is assigned.
Creating & Printing GTIN-14 Barcodes
- www.createbarcodes.com – Create high resolution digital barcode files (.eps) for only $10
- www.orderbarcodelabels.com – Purchase printed barcode labels. Prices start at $15.
- Barcode Printing Software – Generate barcode labels (stickers) inhouse
Reading and Verifying GTIN-14 Barcodes
- Scanner (linear only) – Honeywell Xenon 1300G
- Scanner (cordless) – Honeywell Xenon 1902
- Verifier – Axicon 6515
- Test GTIN Barcode Print Quality