Definition of GTIN
GTIN stands for Global Trade Item Number and refers to all levels of packing which could be purchased and maintained in an inventory system. A GTIN is the number which is used to identify something which can be purchased, sold or put into inventory. This includes; individual items which can be purchased by a consumer, as well as cases of items which could be purchased by a retailer and moved within their supply chain. In short, a GTIN is an umbrella term used to refer to items and cases which may need to identified with a GTIN barcode.
The following 8 minute GS1 Video explains how different barcode terms, including the GTIN are used within the GS1 numbering system.
GTIN Management Standard
GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) provides the global supply chain solution for the identification of any item that is traded (priced, ordered, invoiced). The GTIN Management Standard replaces the previous GTIN Allocation Rules. Since the GS1 global identification standards span many industries, this document addresses the needs of all types of organizations.
To view GTIN Management Rules, please click on the following:
GTIN Management Rules
- 1. New product introduction
- 2. Declared formulation or functionality
- 3. Declared net content
- 4. Dimensional or gross weight change
- 5. Add or remove certification mark
- 6. Primary brand
- 7. Time critical or promotional product
- 8. Pack/case quantity
- 9. Pre-defined assortment
- 10. Price on pack
To view the GTIN Management Standard from GS1, click here.
To learn about GS1 and additional barcode/numbering requirements, click here.
New To UPC Barcodes – GS1 Barcode Service
Creating & Printing UPC Barcodes
- www.createbarcodes.com – Create high resolution digital barcode files (.eps) for only $10
- www.orderbarcodelabels.com – Purchase printed barcode labels. Prices start at $15.
- Barcode Printing Software – Generate barcode labels (stickers) inhouse
Reading and Verifying UPC Barcodes
- Scanner (linear only) – Honeywell Xenon 1300G
- Scanner (cordless) – Honeywell Xenon 1902
- Verifier – Axicon 6015
- Test UPC/EAN Barcode Print Quality